The Wright State Lakers Baseball team traveled to Oakland City, Indiana to take on NCAA Division II Oakland City University in a four game series. The Lakers came into Saturday's twin bill winning five of their last six.
Carson Schuman had all the right stuff on Saturday in game one for the Lakers, allowing zero runs and besting Oakland City by a score of 1-0. The pitching was strong on both sides. Schuman struck out six, while Oakland City pitchers sat down eight. Schuman was credited with the victory for Lakers. He pitched a complete game seven inning while allowing two hits and zero runs while striking out six and walking zero. Lakers totaled seven hits. Noah Greathouse played hero hitting a solo home run in the sixth inning to give the Lakers the lead for good over the Mighty Oaks. Greathouse and Connor Burr each racked up multiple hits for Lakers.
Inside the Box Score:
- Noah Greathouse's home run was the first of the year for the Lakers.
- Schuman earned his first win of the season to improve to 1-2 overall, and his ERA is now a phenomenal 0.57 on the year.
- Connor Burr is now 6-12 in his last five games after starting the year 0-17
- Dustin Lewis reached base for the eleventh consecutive game
Lakers fell to Oakland City 7-6 in game two on the final play of the game. The game was tied at six with Oakland City batting in the bottom of the seventh when Chase Ruiz induced Will Davis to hit into a fielder's choice, but one run scored to end the game. Despite the loss, Lakers did collect seven hits in the high-scoring affair. Quintin Cantelli took the loss for Lakers. He gave up three unearned runs in the bottom of the seventh. Billy Lanman started the game for Lakers. He lasted six innings, allowing five hits and four runs while striking out six and walking one. Anthony Steele went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead Lakers in hits.
Inside the Box Score:
- Dustin Lewis continued to his streak of twelve consecutive games reaching base for the Lakers
- Tyler Venters drove in three runs for the Lakers in the loss.
- Steele drove in a run while also scoring a run in addition to his two hits on the day
The Lakers will complete the four game series with Oakland City University, Sunday March 18th in a double header. First pitch scheduled for 2p EST.